Based in Denver, Colorado, Acoustic Guitar contributing editor Sean McGowan is a fingerstyle jazz and acoustic guitarist who combines diverse influences with unconventional techniques to create a broad palette of textures within his compositions and arrangements for solo guitar. He is the author of the Stringletter book Acoustic Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar Essentials, and has released three recordings of jazz standards and originals for solo archtop guitar. McGowan teaches guitar, theory, and improvisation at the University of Colorado–Denver.
- Experiment with Tempo In This Excerpt from “Silent Night”
- Weekly Workout: Drop Two Chord Arpeggios
- Weekly Workout: Patterns in Thirds
- Emulate the Piano Using Guide Tone Voicings
- How to Pick the Right Key for Your Arrangement
- Play the Holiday Classic "Hark the Herald Angels Sing"
- Guide Tone Voicings
- Harmonize a Melodic Line with Block Chords
- Learn to Play the Popular Christmas Hymn "O Come, All Ye Faithful"
- Learn a Solo-Guitar Arrangement of “Silent Night”
- Add "O Holy Night" to Your Christmas Carol Repertoire
- Learn to Play "Auld Lang Syne" for New Year's Eve
- Learn to Play a Fingerstyle Arrangement of "Deck the Halls"
- Play the Holiday Classic "Jingle Bells"
- Play the Holiday Tune "The Holly and the Ivy"
- Translate Piano Voicings to Solo Jazz Guitar
- Keeping Swing Time with a Metronome
- Exploring Rhythm and Time in Fingerstyle Jazz Songs
- Add a Percussive Backbeat to Fingerstyle Arrangements
- Build Lines around Familiar Chord Shapes