Based in Denver, Colorado, Acoustic Guitar contributing editor Sean McGowan is a fingerstyle jazz and acoustic guitarist who combines diverse influences with unconventional techniques to create a broad palette of textures within his compositions and arrangements for solo guitar. He is the author of the Stringletter book Acoustic Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar Essentials, and has released three recordings of jazz standards and originals for solo archtop guitar. McGowan teaches guitar, theory, and improvisation at the University of Colorado–Denver.
- Experiment with Tempo In This Excerpt from “Silent Night”
- Build Lines around Familiar Chord Shapes
- Exploring Rhythm and Time in Fingerstyle Jazz Songs
- Keeping Swing Time with a Metronome
- Translate Piano Voicings to Solo Jazz Guitar
- Play the Holiday Tune "The Holly and the Ivy"
- Play the Holiday Classic "Jingle Bells"
- Learn to Play a Fingerstyle Arrangement of "Deck the Halls"
- Learn to Play "Auld Lang Syne" for New Year's Eve
- Add "O Holy Night" to Your Christmas Carol Repertoire
- Learn a Solo-Guitar Arrangement of “Silent Night”
- Learn to Play the Popular Christmas Hymn "O Come, All Ye Faithful"
- Harmonize a Melodic Line with Block Chords
- Guide Tone Voicings
- Play the Holiday Classic "Hark the Herald Angels Sing"
- How to Pick the Right Key for Your Arrangement
- Emulate the Piano Using Guide Tone Voicings
- Weekly Workout: Patterns in Thirds
- Weekly Workout: Drop Two Chord Arpeggios
- Add a Percussive Backbeat to Fingerstyle Arrangements